FARMAX Spokesperson - Gavin McEwen, General Manager
Gavin McEwen, General Manager
Areas of expertise
- The use and impact of information technology to drive on‐farm productivity and profitability.
- The role of farm system analysis in the management of multi‐million dollar farm businesses.
- The importance of data collection on farm for driving effective and profitable decision making.
- The need for collaboration and integration with the pastoral industries for driving the uptake of technology based solutions.
- The role of benchmarking in establishing where a farm business sits in relation to others.
- Effective ways to teach greater understanding of farm system analysis.
- The importance of user interfaces in collecting and disseminating farm information for ease of use and greater understanding.
- Standardisation of Key Performance Indicators across the industry and how those KPIs need to be analysed for improved farm governance and management.
- The need to integrate leading farm system models like FARMAX (physical, financial feasibility) and Overseer (environemtnal feasibility) to enable better decisions at farm and industry levels to achieve profitable, sustainable farms.
Gavin is from a Waikato dairy farming background, and holds a degree from Lincoln University.
He has more than 20 years' experience in agricultural information technology, ranging from business analysis and database design, to owning and managing businesses involved in software development and international distribution.
From a pragmatic perspective, Gavin's focus is on using information technology on farm to drive productivity and profitability.
As general manager, Gavin's main objective is to bring FARMAX tools into the mainstream of New Zealand pastoral farming through collaboration and integration with others in the industry.
Aligning FARMAX values and motives with industry good is something Gavin is passionate about.